Friday, January 20, 2012

1967 - My Newspaper Piece

The second event re: my writing that took place in 1967 was my piece in Leisure magazine, the weekend section of the Winnipeg Free Press.

In those days, freelancers had more opportunities, it seems to me, than today when columnists and syndicated writers have taken over.

In India, newspapers used to have what was called a “middle,” a small section on the Editorial page where there was an essay of sorts written by freelancers. It was usually written in the lighter vein and on topics of current interest. I wrote such an article, Curling: That rock-throwing Game, and sent it off to the Editor.
It appeared in Leisure Magazine (the weekend section of Winnipeg Free Press) dated April 22, 1967.

Yes, it was my first (and last) freelance newspaper writing in Canada. So of course I have to treasure the slip of paper that says I actually got paid for it!





My foray into the sport of curling is worth remembering. Brent took us to his curling club just so we could get to see the great prairie pastime, or so I thought. But before we knew it, we were in a team that so badly needed two players that they took us sight unseen. Poor guys, they were stuck with us for the season. P at least tried to sweep and run the way one is supposed to, but I just threw my rocks and stood shivering while the skip yelled his instructions and the other two slid around sweeping. The story starts off as fiction with fictional names but goes on to say something about an immigrant’s view of a national sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment