Thursday, September 27, 2012

1978 cont

1978 cont.

I figured that if we could show the community that a dance instruction course was indeed viable, we could get more students for a course where Menaka's fees could be met.   I phoned Mrs. Thiagarajan to see if she was available.  

I had learnt from the previous experience to be up front with what we could afford, rather than ask the artiste as to what her fees were.  So I told Mrs. Thiagarajan that we could offer $550 as her teaching  and transportation fee (the return airfare was , and free boarding and lodging as my house guest,  if she could come on March 22 in time for the School Break. I was pleasantly surprised when she agreed to come for almost four weeks - four weekends plus a few weekdays!
When the contract was formalized, the final figures were that we would give $450 as fees and buy her plane tickets in addition to this.  The return airfare was about $160 at the time, and  I guess I was confident we would get at least four students in addition to the eight among the five of us!
I discussed it with the group of mothers, and we were all delighted.  After some back and forth exchanges with Mrs. T. we settled on the dates - April 21 to May 15 and  I sent out another mailing to all those who had at any time expressed an interest.  The classes would be held in the basement of my home, and the fee would be $50 for the first member of a family and $30 for the second from the same family.  There would be an opening session on Friday, 21st of April.  After brief introductions and discussion as to class timings, there would be a traditional pooja where after prayers, each student offers fruit and a dollar to the teacher as "guru dakshina."  This was to be followed by an hour-long first lesson.  At the end of it, any one wishing to continue would have to pay the full non-refundable fee. 




No comments:

Post a Comment